Just like your favourite superhero, who swoops in to save the day, superfoods are those that rescue our bodies from illness, nutritional deficiencies and the threat of obesity.
Quinoa has only 222 calories per serving and 4 grams of unsaturated fat plus its an incredible source of protein that keeps you fuller for longer! It's also gluten free friendly! Getting lots of protein with necessary vitamins and minerals is not only essential for your body, but it can also help aid your weight loss as it can help suppress your appetite.
Health benefits of Quinoa
1. Double the amount of protein than rice, millet or wheat to fill you up for longer and repair your cells.
2. It’s gluten-free. Millions of people are discovering they feel recovered and lose weight when they decrease gluten grains or at least wheat products.
3. A source of riboflavin — riboflavin helps decrease the frequency attacks in migraine sufferers by boosting the energy metabolism within the muscle cells and brain.
4. Contains all nine essential amino acids – including the elusive lysine and isoleucine acids, which most other grains lack.
5. Contains small amounts of the heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Weight loss benefits of Quinoa
Appetite suppressant - A 2005 study at the University of Milan found that quinoa was effective at controlling appetite and helping study participants consume less food throughout the day. The study goes on to recommend quinoa as a food for dieters due to its high protein and low calorie nutritional profile.
Cooked quinoa seeds become fluffy and creamy keeping a slight crunch. It has a delicate and subtly nutty flavour meaning it can easily be used for breakfast (as a cereal), lunch (as a salad) or dinner (as a side). So it's super easy to incorporate this superfood into your meals!
Keep your eyes peeled as we're going to share some easy and super tasty Quinoa recipes on our blog soon!
The Bootea Team xx