Did you know your body is made up of about 60% water? The purpose of this water is digestion of foods, circulation and transportation of vital nutrients to name a few. So it’s obvious that when you don’t have enough water in your body, these functions don’t work as well because you’re dehydrated.
Question number two - did you know that when you feel thirsty, you’re already very dehydrated? Dehydration happens when there is an imbalance in the amount of fluid we are taking in compared to what we lose everyday through breathing, sweating and going to the toilet (about 10 cups worth of water a day!). Dehydration can cause you to feel light-headed, tired, constipated and can effect weight loss. A tip to know how hydrated you are, is to look at the colour of your urine, the clearer it is, the more hydrated you are!
One of the biggest problems with dehydration is that it can give you food cravings (especially sugar cravings). Basically it can make our body think we’re hungry when we’re actually thirsty! So when we give into these fake food cravings, it’s almost inevitable that it leads to weight gain. An amazing experiment at a university found that one glass of water eliminated midnight hunger cravings for nearly all of the dieters involved in the study – wow!
Other reasons your water intake can massively impact your weight loss:
- Drink a glass of water before each meal (we recommend not drinking during your meal as it can confuse your digestive system)
- Drink a glass of water whilst you wait for your kettle to boil to make your Bootea Teatox.
- Water intake affects your energy levels. Dehydration can make you tired and struggle to be active. Keep hydrated and you’re more likely to have that extra bit of energy after work to do your workout!
- Helps detox your body. Along with your Bootea Teatox, water helps detox your body. If you’re dehydrated, your digestive system won’t work properly and can mean you end up carrying too many toxins in your body which can lead to weight gain.
- Drinking plenty of water can boost your metabolism. On the other hand, not drinking enough water can slow your metabolism (which can lead to weight gain).
- Fill up a 1 or 2 litre bottle so you can literally see exactly how much water you’re drinking – you’ll be amazed at how much this helps keep you on track!
- Download the awesome app 'Waterlogged' on your smartphone to log your water intake and get hydration reminders!
- Swap sugary/high caffeine drinks for water as they can reverse your levels or hydrations
- If you don’t like the ‘taste’ of water, or find it too harsh to drink, try adding a squeeze of lemon.
We know water can seem boring, but we hope you now realise how important it is to drink plenty of water a day, not just for your general health, but also to stop that unneeded weight gain! So reach for that glass of water, and sip away!
The Bootea Team xx